Saturday, April 28, 2007

Pequita

And now for something completely different...

This week's episode might sound familiar, but it's a departure in many ways. Most importantly for me, I decided to abandon my "banjo only" principle for a while and use whatever instrument or piece of software will make my life easier. Graduate school is coming up for me in the summer, and the only chance I think I'll have of maintaining this podcast will be to streamline production as much as possible.

So the binaural beat this week comes courtesy of SBAGEN, an excellent piece of software which has been ported to every platform and which, in my opinion, should be enough by itself to keep anyone from ever paying for binaural beat CDs. I'll add a link to it in the sidebar. Also, rather than use a lot of effects to provide texture to numerous overlapping banjo tracks, I'm going to try using more instruments and fewer effects. This week, I've added a little bit of synth way in the background, plus quite a bit of guitar. All in all, the muscal moments of this episode possess probably the highest sound quality of all the episodes thus far.

Most obvious, though, will be the change in the length. This week's episode comes with a 30Hz beat, which from my readings online is reputed to produce a marijuana effect. Well, if that's true, why stop after five minutes?! So this one is long, just short of twenty minutes, with a sizeable middle section of background loops and pings there to keep you awake. My hope is that the extended download time will pay off with a more enjoyable listening experience.

Pequita

No comments: